Invisalign Forest Hill & Dulwich
Crossbites And Crossbite Correction
When you bite down, do your top teeth position themselves inside your bottom teeth? If so, you may have what’s known as a crossbite. At London Dental Arts Clinic, Invisalign Dentist in Forest Hill, we take a closer look at crossbite types, causes, and complications together with how to fix a crossbite with a treatment such as the Invisalign system to unlock your best smile.
What is a crossbite?
The definition of a crossbite is an abnormal relationship of one or more teeth of one arch to the opposing tooth or teeth of the other dental arch.
Like the underbite and overbite, a crossbite is a type of malocclusion which, in simple terms, is a misalignment of the teeth or jaw when you close your mouth. There are different types of crossbites, and treatment depends on your particular case and its cause.
How to fix crossbite problems
Crossbite treatment depends on your age and the severity of your case. Whether you need posterior crossbite correction or anterior crossbite treatment, Our orthodontist in Forest Hill recommends you book free orthodontic consultation with us and let our Invisalign dentist explain the best crossbite treatment options for you.
Available crossbite treatment methods
- The Invisalign system or braces can treat crossbites by gradually moving the upper and lower teeth into the correct bite position.
- Crossbite expanders can be used to help fix a crossbite in children whose palates are still growing. Adults with mild crossbite cases can wear a removable crossbite expander at night to widen the upper palate. Applicability for this treatment will need to be determined by your doctor.
- Tooth removal may be required to create room for teeth to move before using a crossbite treatment such as the Invisalign system.
- Surgical jaw expansion to reposition the jaw bone may be needed in extreme crossbite cases.
- Cosmetic dentistry such as dental bonding may improve a bite in mild crossbite cases.
Can I fix a crossbite without braces?
- Are you wondering how to fix a crossbite at home? While there are no crossbite home remedies, crossbite correction without braces is possible in mild cases using cosmetic dentistry methods such as porcelain veneers. However, Invisalign clear aligners could be the best way to fix a crossbite without metal braces. Take our free Smile Assessment to determine if you’re a good candidate for the excellent Invisalign treatment process.
Can Invisalign fix crossbite teeth?
- Yes, Invisalign clear aligners can fix crossbite teeth, depending on the crossbite type, your age, and the crossbite cause. A qualified Invisalign doctor will explain the process and indicate your crossbite treatment duration with an individually mapped digital treatment plan.
The benefits of Invisalign for crossbite teeth
Invisalign for crossbite teeth In Forest Hill & Dulwich
When it comes to crossbite correction, the Invisalign system has many advantages versus traditional braces. With Invisalign treatment, you could benefit from:
- Better aesthetics thanks to the virtually invisible aligners
- Potentially shorter crossbite treatment time
- Fewer doctor visits compared to braces
- Freedom to remove aligners and enjoy your favourite foods
- Similar cost to braces at some practices
- Effective crossbite correction with less pain