Invisalign Forest Hill & Dulwich
What is an overbite and how to fix overbite teeth
An aligned smile doesn’t always come naturally, and a common reason people seek Invisalign treatment is to correct their overbite. So what is an overbite, and why is overbite correction necessary?
- Regardless of age, fixing an overbite problem can transform your confidence and may help prevent future dental and health issues. Before explaining the treatment process to correct an overbite, let’s look at the causes, symptoms, and types of overbite cases.
What is an overbite?
An overbite is when the upper front teeth cover more of the lower front teeth than is usually considered ‘ideal.’ Dentists refer to overbite teeth as a type of malocclusion. Other types of malocclusions include underbites, crossbites, and gap teeth.
Overbite causes and symptoms
Infants and children
According to the British Society of Paediatric Dentistry (BSPD), if a child repeatedly sucks on a finger, thumb, dummy, or another object (such as a bottle) over a prolonged period, the upper front teeth may tip forward or come incorrectly. Changes in tooth position and jaw alignment can also occur.
In teenagers and adults, a deeper than average overbite would usually result from an underlying jaw issue or potentially missing teeth on the lower dental arch.
Why correcting an overbite is important
As well as transforming protruding teeth into a confident smile, overbite correction may prevent a range of health and dental problems, including:
- damaged gums
- tooth wear and tear
- jaw aches and headaches
- opening, chewing, and biting difficulties
- speech problems
- sleep apnea.
The advantages of Invisalign treatment over braces for overbite correction:
Invisalign clear aligners are virtually invisible and can give you all the fantastic benefits of traditional braces without the look of metal brackets and wires. The cost of Invisalign treatment can be similar to braces at some practices.
With Invisalign treatment for overbite correction, you could benefit from:
- Effective gradual teeth movement with less pain
- Freedom to easily remove your Invisalign aligners
- Fewer doctor visits than traditional braces
- An indication of the duration of your treatment thanks to your individually mapped digital treatment plan
- Better oral health because you can remove your aligners to brush and floss
- Simultaneous starting of treatment for both arches in deep bite cases.
Can Invisalign treatment fix an overbite?
Can Invisalign treatment fix overbite teeth? Yes. Invisalign treatment has delivered millions of satisfied smiles worldwide, many of which were Invisalign treatment overbite cases. Book your free Invisalign consultation today!